Monday, June 18, 2012

Injury

For about two weeks now when I run, right around 2.5 miles, I get this pain in the ball of my left foot.  The pain is sort of a burning sensation and causes my 3 middle toes to burn and sometimes go numb.  It's never hurt too bad and I've always pushed through it and finished my runs.  That changed on Saturday.

Just as normal, right around 2.5 miles the pain came back, but this time it was much sharper and really burned.  Since it's never gotten too horrible I pushed on.  By three miles I was changing my stride to try and keep the pain to a minimum and at four miles I gave up!  It felt like someone was holding a flame under that foot.  I was a fair bit from home (a little over 2 miles) so I did the unspeakable, and called my husband to pick me up.

So ticked this happened.  Now the pain goes away as long as I don't wear high heels but as soon as I have to stretch those toes back it comes.  It's also an issue while riding but not nearly as painful and of course if I drop my stirrups I'm fine.  I'm going to try biking today and see if that bothers it.  If not I think I'll bike for the rest of this week and then see where I'm at.  Luckily I've given myself tons of time to finish training for the Army 10miler so taking a week off won't kill me as far as training goes.  But, I need to burn these calories somehow so I gotta find something else to fill the spot of running.  Let's hope biking fits the bill.

Well it's also Monday, so that means I owe ya'll a weigh-in.  I weighed in today at 185.4.  Tomorrow will be my three month surgiversary and as of now I've lost 49lbs since surgery.  I think that's pretty awesome!  If I can keep that up I'll be at goal around the end of Sep.  I don't think I'll be able to repeat that loss because as I lose more weight it becomes more difficult to lose, but I think my original goal of being at 130 by Christmas is definitely doable.  In just 5 lbs I will no longer be obese, just overweight!  That's pretty exciting right there.

Oh and I almost forgot.  I've gotten a new hair style to go with my almost rockin' bod!  Here ya go!




I also got a shocking blue color put in but not until after the pic.  Anyway, I love the new look!

2 comments:

Jillian said...

Hey I have the same haircut!I have had a constant struggle with a running injury for 2 years how. After both my marathon I have suffered debilitating IT band flair-ups. Running one marathon seems to cause me 4-6 months of pain. I am just getting over my last IT band flair up and back to building up my running again. In the meantime I really built up my cycling and swimming, you could try that. If you are concerned about calorie burn, my Garmin data tells me I burn more cycling than swimming. I don't follow calorie burn since I have been in maintenance for quite some time now, but just something I glance at when uploading Garmin data. Also, since cycling is easier on the body you can do it for a longer duration. My short bike rides are an hour with a 1200 calorie burn. My 3 hour ride yesterday burned 2700 according to my Garmin.

Also something to consider, which I learned from tri training, fitness gains on the bike usually translate to fitness gains on the run, but not vice-versa. When I got my first ITBS flair-up, I was in physical therapy and could not run at all for 2 months, even running half a mile I would be in excruciating pain. I spent a lot of time riding my bike since I couldn't run, and when I could finally run I was 2 minutes faster in the 5k distance.

Keep your head up, find an alternative sport, and focus on what you can do instead of what you can't, the 10-miler is still months away!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I definitely prefer running to biking right now, mainly because I only have a crappy bike, and it isn't even mine, it's my husband's. But spending $800 on a bike isn't a possibility right now. I keep looking on craigslist hoping I'll luck out but cycling in DC is a big thing so no one is selling cheap.

I'm waiting until payday then heading to pacers to see about a new pair of shoes. Hopefully that will help with the issue.