Thursday, April 5, 2012

What I Eat

I'm still in the "mushy" stage.  For those not in the know, that means I can eat things of a mashed potato consistency.  But I absolutely should NOT eat mashed potatoes, they have way to many carbs. I currently strive to stay under 50g of carbs a day.  I would like to keep it below 40 but right now beans have to make up a large part of my mushy diet and they come with some carbs.  I also want to hit at least 60g of protein.  That has been a struggle because all the protein drinks now taste like crap to me.  I wish they didn't, I liked them just fine before surgery but now they are so  sweet I can barely stomach them.  I treat them like medicine now, something I must have, there are no options.

So here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast: Protein Shake - Premier chocolate - 160 cal - 5g Carbs - 30g Protein

Snack1 (about 3 hours later) - Egg Beaters Egg white with 1 wedge of Laughing Cow Light - 60 cal -1g carb- 8 Protein

Lunch - Ground Sirloin Chili (homemade) with 1tbs Fage 2% pulverized in a blender - 132 calories, 17g carbs, 13g Protein

Snack 2 - 1tbs Hummus with 1tbs Fage 2% - 69  calories - 4g carbs - 4g protein

Dinner - No fat Refried Beans, 1tbs Fage 2%, 1/2 serving mexican cheese, 1tbsp salsa - 128 calories - 14g Carbs - 12g Protein

Total= Calories 549 - Carbs 41 - Protein 67

All in all a good day.  And don't forget water.  I struggle to get my 64oz in a day, right now I hover around 50oz, but I know as I'm able to work out more this will need to really increase.  The part I'm finding difficult is you aren't supposed to drink 30 min. before a meal or an hour after.  That really cuts into when I can drink as I eat every 3 hours or so and it takes me aprox. 30 min. to eat the little bit I have.

I will say I struggle with exhaustion.  After taking care of the house, homeschooling my son, any shopping and cooking I've been in bed by 8pm for the last 3 nights.  Hopefully as I move onto full food in a week and a half I will function on a little higher level.

Tomorrow I'll discuss all the gadgets that make a post-op life easier.

No comments: