Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Let's Talk About Food Baby

Ok I didn't get fat hating food.  I may have hated what food made me look like but I LOVE food.  I couldn't tell you how many hours in a day I spent thinking about food.  I could think about a Dunkin Donuts Boston Cream donut for hours.  How it would taste, the feel of the cream in my mouth, it was almost sexual in nature.

The sleeve has done an amazing thing.  When I woke up those thoughts were magically gone.  Truly it is like someone came in and removed that "broken" part of my brain.  It's been amazing.  I know that is not the case for everyone, but I count my lucky stars that it has been the case for me so far.  I've even lost my taste for sweets.  They just hold little to no appeal for me now.  Sometimes that makes me sad because lets face it sweets did a lot for me.  They comforted me when I was down and they celebrated with me when I was up.  Now I'm left with just me.

Having said all that it does NOT mean I still don't want my food to taste good.  The one thing I have not lost my taste for is Mexican food and cheese.  I heart cheese.  Matter of fact there are a fair few things I love to eat so I'd thought I'd share a couple of them.

1. A mini tostada.  Stats: 149 calories, 11g carbs, 5g fat, 12g protein.


It's half of a corn tortilla (that's a 1/4 of a serving), 1 Tbsp fat free refried beans, 1/4 cup 2% Mexican shredded cheese, all heated up on a skillet, with yummy salsa and Fage 0% for dipping.  Just perfect!

2. Buffalo "wings".  Stats: 99 calories, 2g carbs, 2g fat, 16g protein.


I made it with the precooked grilled chicken breast, 1 Tbsp of Buffalo wing sauce, and a 1/4 cup of Fage with 1/2 tsp of ranch dressing mixed in.  I realize that ranch with Buffalo sauce is sort of sacrilege and I may try out different ways of getting a low cal blue cheese that doesn't taste of crap, but so far I haven't had any luck.  I will warn you that this is a lot of food as the chicken is so dense.  You may not be able to finish it or need to lower the amount of chicken (that's 2oz right there).  In the future I hope to add a couple of raw carrots to round it out but right now my tummy isn't big on the raw veggies.

So there are two very quick recipes I've come up with.  They taste great (or I wouldn't share them) and fill the high protein low carb requirement.  Hope you enjoy.  There will be more to come I promise.

No comments: