Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Parmesan Crisps

Over on the Obesity Help VSG Forum there is a lot of talk about the Parmesan crisps.  Basically it's when you turn Parmesan cheese into a cracker like food delivering item.  I want to reiterate that I DID NOT come up with this idea.  I'm just putting it into a blog with steps to help those who haven't tried it yet.

Ingredients Needed:
Parmesan Cheese

Wow that's a short list!

Let's talk a little about what kind of Parmesan you need.  Do not buy the stuff off the shelf in the green can.  It won't work.  Now, because I'm lazy I don't buy the block and shred it myself.  I go to Wegmans (the best grocery store EVER) and buy their pre-shredded Parmigiano Reggiano.  The nutrition facts are (for 1tbsp - or one crisp) 20 calories, 0 carbs, and 2g protein.

Here's the process in pics (aren't you proud!):

1)  Add 1 Tbsp of Parmesan to a cookie sheet.  I use parchment paper with a bit of PAM sprayed on to help with any sticking issues.  PLEASE don't use wax paper, wax paper should never be heated because it's made with WAX!  Wax melts.  Wax paper is for things like, wrapping meat before putting it in the freezer.



2) Place in oven.  I heated the oven to 375 and put them in there for 5 min.  That wasn't quite enough time.  8-10 min is more like it.  This pic shows them coming out at 5 min. and you can see they aren't quite done.  I didn't get another pic when they came out done because you need to move pretty fast before they set and harden (like faster than I thought fast).

3) Ok, you have choices once they are out of the oven.  You can let them sit and harden and be more cracker like or you can shape them.  I don't like the easy way I decided to shape mine in a mini-muffin pan (the greatest thing ever for those of us with tiny tummies).  The first one was still a bit too hot and pulled a bit, but by the time I got to the last it had started to cool too much and I didn't get a good cup.  A second pair of hands here might be helpful.

4) Let them cool.  It doesn't take long, maybe 10 min. until they are hard and hold their shape.

5) Fill with whatever protein goodness you'd like.  I filled mine with lump crap salad (Old Bay seasoning and Miracle Whip Lite).  Please note the more wet your filling is the less time you should let it sit because it will turn your Parmesan crisp into a Parmesan limp and wilty.  (**I'd like to note that aesthetically this plate is much to white for me, but it's what I had.  I really feel like the filling should have color so I'm going to have to work on that**)

There ya have it.  Super easy and the skies the limit with what you might like to fill it with.

No comments: